.

.

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Half Way Point

This past Friday, Matthew turned 6 weeks old.  Sadly, this means that my time off of work, to spend with my babies, is already half over!  The past 6 weeks has gone by so quickly, as I knew it would.  I would give anything to go back to June 21 and do this whole thing over again.  I wouldn't change a single thing, but just want to experience it all over again and still have 12 weeks to be home!
During my pregnancy, I would daydream constantly about my time off and all the time I'd have at home to get projects done that I've put off for years.  I figured it would be so easy to focus on these things, with just taking care of one baby, and the girls being in daycare part of the week.  Well, even with my leave already half over, that is still just a daydream!  I don't know what happens during the day, but I get up early and get the girls ready for school.  Then, before I know it, I turn around and it's time to go pick them up!  Taking care of this one baby is much more time consuming than I thought it would be!  I have a feeling that this second half of my leave will go even faster because we're going out of town for the last two weeks of August.  That will soak up my time for sure :(

I do feel though that I'm finally starting to get into somewhat of a routine, and if I'm diligent and focused, I can get more things done than I did the first 6 weeks.  I'm sure I'll get into the perfect routine and be ready to really accomplish some things, just in time to go back to work!!
Oh well...I've certainly not completely wasted this time.  I've been able to enjoy my son and this age that will be gone in the blink of an eye.  I will look back on these days and weeks and know that I cherished every second!  I recently read a quote by a writer (Anne Dillard) saying "How we spend our days, is of course, how we spend our lives."  I refuse to let simple occurrences in the course of a grocery shopping trip, a rainy morning at home, dinner out, dinner in, a walk in the woods, a disagreement with a friend or family member, an over-flowing laundry basket, a drive to a friend's home, or an inside joke with my husband pass me by--because if I did--I'd b letting life pass me by.  I mention this because it's something I remind myself when I get frustrated that I didn't get certain things done during the day.  That organization project in my craft room, or the finally cleaning out of the guest room closet can wait.  The simple moments of kissing my baby's forehead or taking my daughters to the playground, so they can climb up the ladder to the big kid slide a hundred times--THESE are the things that matter!!

My Little Tree Hugger - Six Weeks Old

Mrs. J

No comments:

Post a Comment