1) There is always someone to play (or fight) with.
Every time I see these kids interacting, loving on each other, playing make believe together, copying each other's every step, relying on each other, and just being together it makes me happier than anything else on this planet! I can't wait for Callie to be in the mix of that and enjoy her siblings as much as they already enjoy her. Having this bond will be something amazing when they're adults! They'll have a large support unit in each other.
2) You get to spend a lot of money.
Not sure this is a positive thing, but just something that comes with the territory. Food seems to be the biggest expense! These kids can already eat their fair share of food. Sometimes, Matthew can eat as much as both girls put together! I can't imagine what our food bills will be like when these kids are teenagers! Then there's the diapers, new clothes every season because they're growing way too fast, activities out of the house like soccer, music, etc., diapers, gas to get them around, did I mention diapers?, medical appointments, trips, and a whole list of other things! I can't even begin to think about teenage clothes, cars, college, weddings...wow!! Maybe I'm talking you into reasons not to have 4 kids!
3) You get to drive a monster truck.
For the past 5 years, I was a minivan driver. The van was one of those things that I fought and fought getting, but when I finally did, I loved it. It's been wonderful with so many infant carseats and those sliding doors. It was so perfect for life with 3 kids, since I had a whole space of an empty chair that could be moved out of the way. Scott's been working on me for a while to get into an SUV, and we knew it had to be a big one. So, now I'm a monster truck, gas guzzling, SUV driver!
4) You have a lot of help.
This picture right here is why I had kids. Ok, now you're thinking I'm crazy! I had kids for a roll of TP? When the toilet paper roll was empty, after she used it, Rosie took it upon herself to put a new one on there! Having 4 kids is totally going to pay off someday in all the extra help I'll have for chores and work. Although, no matter how much they love to help clean now, I'm sure they won't want to at all when it is actually helpful!
5) Your kids will have a lot of back up in school.
Kids can be mean. There are a lot of bullies out there, and many kids who don't have support of siblings or close friends seem to suffer the most. So, if each of my kids as 3 others to look out for them, they'll be so much better off! For Pre-K this year, we decided to split the girls up into separate classes. But, for this very reason, I think I may put them back in the same class, even if it goes well this year. These days, kids need back up!
6) Everyone has a partner for rides at amusement parks.
I've been saying this before, but definitely noticed it this year. We just went to the beach last week, and there's a great small kids' amusement park there. Many of the rides are for two kids to ride together. With 3 of them riding right now, someone always had to ride by themselves.
7) All the kids will want to come to your house to play/sleepover.
It's an instant party for other kids, because no matter how many other kids come over, there's already 4 to start! Well, I guess girls would have good sleepovers, because there's 3 of them. We're not having co-ed sleepovers, so Matt's on his own! But, pool parties, birthdays, hangouts, etc., there are plenty of options of kids to hang with, that already live here, so hopefully our house will be the hangout spot for them!
8) There's gotta be someone out of the 4 who will take care of you when you're old.
Definitely, the more kids you have, the more chances you have of believing that someone will be around and willing to take care of you when you get old. I think it'll be Rosie. She is such a nurturer. She loves taking care of people, always asks you if you're ok, or if there's something wrong, takes care of her doll like it's real, and consoles anyone who is hurt, or not feeling well. She'll totally be the one to take us in. And if not...we've got a chance at 3 others to help.
9) People won't give you unsolicited advice anymore.
Anyone who has their first child knows the exhaustion of anyone and everyone wanting to give them advice, what they should do, what they shouldn't do, what they have to do, it goes on and on and on. But, when you have your 4th baby, people aren't really sure what advice to give you! You've already been through it enough times that they don't feel the need to offer advice anymore. I've also noticed that by the 4th child, you are SO relaxed about almost everything. I have so enjoyed this baby/infant stage with Callie more than all the others and I think it's because I know I can just enjoy her, without being stressed about all the unknowns of new motherhood. It's been so relaxing and such a relief.
10) Your house will always be full.
This right here is exactly why I knew I wanted a large family. This reason right here is the most important and emotional one for me. I have always loved when there are people at our house. We've hosted many holidays at our house over the years, and it fill my heart to have my house full. I love the loudness of it. I love the craziness of it. I love the conversations. I love the laughter. I love the bonding. I love the meeting and relationship building of people who have never met, or not had much time to get to know each other. I love the noise. I love the Love that fills the house. Because of all these loves, I want my house to always be like this. If I have a large family, there's no way around it always being full. Scott and I started out with 3 guest rooms in our house. Three perfectly maintained, quite guest rooms. One by one, they have filled up and we now even had to add a bedroom! So right now, it's full of children, screaming, laughter, crying, whining, toys, grandparents, stuff. As they get older it will be full of friends, and then boyfriends/girlfriends (sniff, sniff), then spouses and then grandchildren. I picture us having a long table so full of love, laughter and many of our offspring and their next generation. My motto for having children has been this quote that I heard a couple of years ago, when we were deciding how many more kids we had, "When thinking about how many children you want to have, don't think about the pain in the ass of infancy, but think about how many people you want at your Thanksgiving Table." I always want our Thanksgiving table to be bursting at the seams, where we have to add another table, and then another, and on and on.
![]() |
| This is obviously a picture from he Internet, but this is what I envision one day! |
Mrs. J


No comments:
Post a Comment