I've had a consistent, full-time, steady corporate job since the day after I graduated college, 12 years ago. Even when I changed jobs, there wasn't any time in between them. I climbed the corporate ladder to a very successful job and career. I've always had to abide by the Corporate life of attendance policies, paid time off, getting any vacations or time off approved by someone, performance reviews, policies, co-workers, bosses, working while my babies were growing without me, etc., etc. The list of controls that my life has entailed in the Corporate world could go on forever.
All this has changed, and I am starting a new life!! I resigned my Corporate job on June 6th and never looked back! I've started my own business. I am my own boss! I am now the owner of AMR Consulting Group, a Human Resources Consulting business, where I get to offer help to small companies with all of their employment needs, without being their internal employee. Ever sine I left Paychex, I have wanted to go back into consulting, I loved the flexibility it offered, constantly meeting with and working with new people, never going to do the same thing day in and day out. Until this point, I haven't had a compelling reason to leave the security of a steady job and a steady paycheck. But, many things over the last few months, both positive and negative, had been happening to really make me rethink what I want to do, and whether or not I can deal with Corporate life, politics and rules any longer. I.can't.stand.politics! I hate them! I can't deal with them anymore, and I can't be a part of them anymore. I'm tired of having to commit a majority of my life to other people, who don't really care about me, while strangers take care of my children all week. So, I decided I'm going to take charge of my own life, become my own boss and make a serious change. I know 110% that I have made the right decision and haven't looked back, or regretted my decision, for a single second!
I can't even describe how I feel about my life now. This is exactly the balance I was looking for! I get to spend SO much time with my children, and still have a career. I can plan play dates with friends, I can go out to lunch, I can go out of town whenever and for however long I want, and I get to pick my own work schedule, working at home when I want, at the hours that I want (most of the time). I feel so lucky in my life right now and am enjoying every second of staying home with the kids, doing fun activities, cuddling with them whenever I want, and am also feeling excited about getting out there and starting something new for myself. I do feel bad about the fact that the girls were learning so much at daycare, and now they're home all the time, so we've been talking about putting them in preschool two days a week. I think it will be a great experience for them, give me (or Scott) good one-to-one time with Matthew and keep them involved with other kids on a regular basis.
Another amazing thing that will come from this new life, is that my dream of becoming a Doula and Lactation Consultant will become even more of a reality. I will now have the serious time I need to devote to getting my Doula certification and doing my field work. This would never have been possible while working full time! I've even come up with a name for my practice (to be shared at a future time) SO EXCITED!!!
Since my life is completely entrenched in Disney Princesses, thanks to Emily and Rosie, I have made one of the princesses my role model! A couple months before I made the decision to leave my full time job, we were introduced to Tangled, the Disney movie about Rapunzel. Since the events in my life, I have felt so connected to her because she was brave enough to take a HUGE risk, make a new life, and was terrified and excited about it at the same time. So, ever since I left, her words continuously ring true in my ears!
One huge advantage, on the personal side, of my new schedule is that I get to take the kids to do fun things, when everyone else is at work or school!! Those places we used to go to only on the weekend, or never go to, because I was too down and tired to go anywhere on the weekends. So, here are some pictures of what we've been up to the last couple of months.
Mid July, we had our first family reunion (on my Mom's side) in 24 years! We rented cabins in Gatlinburg, TN. Great sights and great catching up was seen and had by all.
![]() | ||
|
![]() |
| What the Grannies and Kids were up to while we were out on the town! |
Matthew already enjoys his vehicles!
We had a visitor in the driveway one morning. Good thing Rosie pointed him out, because he was right under my car!
Happy (Belated) Fourth of July:
We get in lots of fun playground dates these days.
We've gone to various fountains around town quite a few times, and bring a picnic lunch with us:| (sun)bathing beauties |
So far, this has been an amazing summer and a very exciting time in my life! This is seriously what life is all about! We don't get these times back, and I wouldn't trade it for all the money in the world...
Mrs. J



No comments:
Post a Comment