.

.

Tuesday, June 2, 2015

FOUR Years Old!

May 13, 2015
I am now the mother of two 4 year olds!  I must admit that this has been my hardest age to swallow.  I had so loved the infant stage (I'm sure you couldn't tell, with all my posts about it) and the precious, innocent ways of the toddler stage.  I looked back at my post when they turned 3, and I said then that the baby and toddler stages were completely over, but I think age 4 really solidifies that, because they have certainly left the physical toddler stage.  They look like grown, beautiful girls, instead of cutesy toddlers!  I have to accept that they are kids/girls now, with their own opinions, views and ideas.  I do sound sad, but at the same time, I must admit that their development is astounding, and they blow me away every day with the girls they are becoming.  It's amazing to see how much they've grown, both physically and mentally, over the past year.  They've learned so many things in school, from us as their parents, from each other, and just from every day events, and soak everything up and retain it in amazing ways.  They're development at preschool was just amazing this year.  They both can draw people now and write their names.  What an accomplishment!  They can recite things from their heads, like the Pledge of Allegiance, The Lord's Prayer, and quotes/verses they hear at school and are learning the letters of the alphabet.  They can count and recognize their numbers, recognize most shapes, and are good with all their colors.  These girls are going to be ready for Kindergarten in no time, and I'm so proud of the learning they're are doing.
This past year with three year olds I think has been my most challenging year as a mother.  It's funny how this works, because I said the same thing in my 3 year old post about the year the were 2!  At the time, I thought that was the hardest thing I've done.  The two's were hard, mainly because of potty training, but the 3 year old year was definitely harder, because personalities really started to come out, rebellion kicked in, tantrums and emotions collided, independence was born, and it was much more exhausting emotionally.  I believe it also seemed harder since I have been home with them for the past year, so I have had to deal with all their emotions and disagreements and it's emotionally exhausting at times.  When working full-time, there were many times I heard about these things from their daycare, but I got a break from it!  Now I see it all, the good and the ugly!  Each girl of course has her own personality, preferences and quirks, which are coming out more and more as they get older.  I've worked a lot this year on trying to figure out the best way to work with, and discipline, each of them in different ways that work for each one.  In the first couple years of being their mom, I did everything the same with each of them, what they wear, what toys they had, and more importantly, how I responded to each of them in their wants and needs and in disciplining them.  But now I realize how much they need different interaction.  What works for one, doesn't always (most of the time doesn't) work for the other.  It's always been amazing to me to see two children who grew in the same womb together, were born at the same time, have the same parents and upbringing, but who are so completely different.  It really proves to you how important Nature is, no matter what Nurture you provide in the home.  Now that I'm really working out what clicks for each of them, I'm really hoping this 4 year old phase is much easier when it comes to the challenging times.  I've figured out much more how to respond, or not respond if that's needed, how to reason with each of them and how to push the buttons that work for them.  I'll continue to work on this to build that strong, trusting and not as much "tantruming" relationship with each of them!
Every single day, I'm so thrilled they have each other as sisters and best friends.  They spend so much time together and still get so excited to see each other, hugging and kissing each other when they've been apart for just a few hours.  They will hopefully be each other's shoulder to lean/cry on for the rest of their lives, and I'm already seeing that bond developing at an amazing speed.  They look out for each other, play make believe together, love on their brother together, meet new friends together, comfort each other, argue with each other and fight over toys with each other.  Rosie calls Emily "Sweetie" and Emily calls Rosie "Honey", "Rose" or "Roe".  It's amazing to see at 4 years old how much they already look out for each other and have a bond so deep that I can't imagine anything breaking it.  What a wonderful gift we have given to each of them in a sister!

Emily - You are still the sensitive and studious one.  This was really evident this year, with you being at school, and also starting to go to the children's program at church.  You just love to learn, focus on those teaching you, and you retain and repeat what you've been taught later on, usually at random times.  The cutest thing you repeated was from school.  You were getting ready for bed and said "I am with you always. Matthew 28 pounds".  You still get bossed around quite a bit by Rosie which your teacher said can be distracting for you, so we're going to put the two of you in different classes next Fall, for Pre-K.  Maybe that will help you shine a little more and be able to do your own thing.  You are still the more reserved sister, but have branched out a lot to meet new friends.  Every time we go to the park or a playground, you find a new friend and really want people to play with you.  You are somewhat shy about it and approach them softly.  It hurts your feelings if they don't want to play with you, but I think half the time they don't hear you.  This soft approach is definitely not used on your little brother though.  You bully him beyond acceptable sometimes which I honestly think drives me more crazy than it does him.  Sometimes he'll scream to tell you he wants to be left alone, but most of the time he just deals with it.  You're lucky he's so tolerable of you!  What you don't know is that he's going to be bigger than you very soon and you may regret some of the torture and smothering you give him!  One thing I'm really happy to see going away, although I'm worried I'm saying this too soon, is the insane tantrums you had over the past year.  Those tantrums where you scream like you're being stabbed and must be sent to your room with no interaction to calm down.  It's been a few weeks since we've had one of those, since I think you may be growing out of it and are able to be sent to your room in a lower state and are learning to deal with it better.  It would be wonderful if that stage is behind us!! You are still very stubborn though, and when asked to do something you don't want to, or told to stop something, you just make grunting sounds and ignore.  Again, I'm sure this is a preview of what's to come as a teenager.  I can only imagine the number of eye rolls I'll get from you as you get older!!
Besides all that, your sensitive soul makes me fall in love with you again every day.  You come up with the sweetest things out of nowhere almost every day.  Just today I was sitting on my ball (trying to get this baby to come), with my hair undone and my huge belly and you just said "You're beautiful" and hugged me.  Yesterday, while I was gone, you made a picture for me, with real flowers taped to it, put it in a gift bag and couldn't wait to give it to me when I got home.  Noodle told me that when you were making it you told her "You have to speak from your heart!"  You're so affectionate with all of us and you love when our whole family is together.
This sweetness that you have comes in handy for you when you want something from certain people.  You always attach yourself to a visitor, family member (outside of our immediate family) or a friend who is over consistently, who you know will do what you want.  You control that person with your cuteness, boss them around, and get exactly what you want from them.  Of course, you don't try it at all with me or Daddy, or even Gramma anymore because you know it doesn't fly with us.  When Opa was here to visit, you latched right on and gave directions to him the whole time.  "Opa, sit."  "Opa, put me on your lap." "Opa, get me a snack."  Of course, he did everything you demanded!  I can only imagine how this will work for you when you start dating!
Here are some of your cute quirks:
- Each time we go somewhere, you're like a bag lady.  You have to pack at least one bag, sometimes 2 and/or a suitcase with toys, business cards, random objects.
- You can entertain yourself for hours with anything from your dolls, to silverware, to coins and make them talk to each other.
- There are many times you want to play by yourself and make it very clear to Rosie when she wants to play with you, and it drives her crazy.
Emily, you are a beautiful, sensitive, warm, loving, and animated girl.  I will continue to be amazed by you each day, the things you say, the things you do, and what you become!  I am SO incredibly proud to be your Mom.

Rosie - You are still my silly, energy filled, social one and so much more!  You are bossy, inquisitive, sensitive when disciplined, independent, mothering, helpful and all about fun.  You are such a little mommy to all of us.  You are constantly taking care of Matthew and use a high pitched mothering voice with him, you look out for Emily, and you're always wanting to help me whenever I'm doing anything.  You'll even smooth my clothes when we're out, if they don't look right to you!  No matter what me or Daddy are doing, or where we're going, you always have to be a part of it.  It doesn't matter where I have to go, if I'm leaving the house, you've got to come with me.  "Why?" "Why?" "Why?" "Why?"  This is the word that follows everything, and I mean EVERYTHING that I say.  Sometimes I just want to scream "STOP ASKING ME WHY!!!" and/or want to answer every Why with "because I said so", but at the same time, I don't want you to stop asking questions of people.  I want you to always be inquisitive, whether it's to your teachers, or the other 8th grade girls later on who are trying to get you to do something.  Although, I'm not sure that will happen, because you're the one that other kids are drawn to, and if you don't want to play with them, you won't entertain them and will continue to do your own thing, or let them follow you around.  You will be the one telling other girls what to do!
A new phase you're in, which drives me crazy, is that as soon as someone tells you not to do something, you stick your fingers in your mouth and start to pout, making little baby crying noises.  It's SO annoying and certainly not something big girls do.  This is something I've been on very much so because I really don't want it to last!  A similar thing happens when you get hurt, even if it's something ridiculous.  You completely overreact and make a huge deal of it.  You love to be acknowledged for things you've done well and hate to be criticized!
If there's something you're supposed to be doing, but have something you'd rather do, you just do what you want and then act surprised when you get in trouble.  Recently, you and Emily had all your toys taken away because you wouldn't pick them up and it kept turning into a battle.  When I asked you if you wanted your toys thrown in the garbage (as a threat) you immediately said "Yes!" because you knew that would turn into me picking them up and getting rid of them, instead of you picking them up!
You are constantly asking about our family, who is in our family, naming the people in our family, and loving our family.  You really are so affectionate in your thoughts and actions and there could never be any mistaking that you love us!  You've also been asking a lot of questions lately about death and people getting old.  You ask about me and Daddy dying and who will be your Daddy and Mommy if we die and that you'll be said because you won't have a Daddy or Mommy.  I have to explain each time that it's something that happens when people are very old, and that you'll be old also.  It's amazing to watch how your mind works and the things that you think about!
You love, love, love to be with your sister and brother constantly.  You are not someone who gets their energy from being alone.  Thank goodness you have two siblings (soon three) because there are a lot of times that Emily will tell you "I don't want you to play with me right now, I want to play alone" and it drives you crazy.  But, you'll just go with Matthew if that's the case and you're happy either way!  You will do so great with the next one coming as well!  You are actually very easy to please like that, in a number of situations.
You will definitely develop into a caring, nurturing, strong-willed and energy filled person.  I can't wait to continue to see these traits develop and make you into the wonderful person you will become!
These two girls have made the twin experience SO amazing for me.  I have loved watching them grow together, have loved experiencing their differing personalities and how they mesh together, and have loved the relationship between them and with me.  I know this is going to be an incredible year for all of us and I can't wait to see how it plays out!!
Happy FOURTH Birthday my sweet girls!!

Mrs. J

No comments:

Post a Comment